Back to overview

Trends in average wealth by wealth group

Wealth inequalityInequalityHeadline charts

This shows changes in the ‘real value’ (after inflation) of net household wealth.¬†Wealth inequality increased more sharply than income inequality between 2003-04 and 2015-16. Click here to see the income inequality trends.

The average wealth of the highest 20% wealth group rose from $1.9 million in 2003-04 to $2.6 million in 2009-10, declined to $2.4 million in 2011-12 (after the Global Financial Crisis) and rose again to $2.9 million in 2015-16. Trends in the value of wealth holdings of the remaining 80% changed much less in comparison.

Privacy Preference Center